Renaissance Blog 9/30/2021

The Marriage of the Virgin

 Raphael, 1504 

    

          For this week's assignment on the Italian/Northern Renaissance, I chose to analyze Raphael's The Marriage of the Virgin, 1504. This painting is influenced by the Reinvention of Rome by the Catholic Church and represents the day where Mary becomes wed to Joseph. 

          Initially, this painting was to be completed by Pietro Perugino, Raphael's former master but was ultimately assigned to Raphael due to Perugino's absence. Raphael followed his master's technique in executing this painting and found inspiration in Perugino's painting style. The colors chosen are quite mute, with the red clothing on the bodies to be the brightest. Raphael also uses linear perspective in his work to depict the cathedral behind the assembly of people. He applied figure composition to illustrate the gathering and their engagement throughout the ceremony. I was debating on whether or not this piece was an altarpiece, only because it displays a marital ceremony with biblical people. I suppose it is since it takes place at a religious landmark.

         I think this work is quite stunning and it caught my eye when I was looking for which painting I wanted to post. I was intrigued by how well-balanced all the subjects are and how aesthetically pleasing it is to the eye. Raphael did an amazing job capturing the essence and presenting their emotions  (observing the faces of the surrounding people).  I have always learned about the biblical events that took place at church, but I always had difficulty visualizing these moments. Even though paintings from this time are not carbon copies of the events that took place, paintings from the Italian/Northern Renaissance have helped create a visual for me. 








Works Cited

"The Marriage of the Virgin." Pinacoteca Di Brera | Official Website, pinacotecabrera.org/en/collezione-online/opere/the-marriage-of-the-virgin/.

"Raphael." Raphael Paintings: 50 Famous Paintings Analysis & Bio, www.raphaelpaintings.org/the-marriage-of-the-virgin.jsp.


Comments

  1. The linear perspective in this painting is just unreal! That definitely stands out to me! I think that it is wonderful that the renaissance gave you a visual of biblical events. I don't have a strong religious background, but I enjoyed learning about the stories behind the painting during the renaissance. I would agree with you that this painting is stunning, and I enjoyed reading your explanation on composition and colors used in the painting too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Iona! This painting is amazing. Just as you pointed out, Raphael did a fantastic job capturing the ceremony and making it feel as though everyone that gathered around, are focused solely on the marriage. The linear perspective used by Raphael really accentuated the religious building behind them, also it captures the vast landscape that surrounds them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Classical Blog 10/21/2021

Early Modern Era 11/4/2021

First Blog Assignment!